Sunday, March 15, 2009

Working on a Rockery...


To most people, this may seem no more than a piece of wood with two layers of styrofoam packing glued on top of it. But to me...

...well, it looks like no more than a piece of wood with two layers of styrofoam packing glued on top of it, with my cat sitting nonchalantly on the chair in the distance.

Okay, early days yet, and it is now sitting under a heavy (and I mean
heavy) weight of plastic boxes full of miniatures while the glue cures to avoid warping, but this is the start of my "Anthill in the Alps". This will be a trenchwork outpost set in the Dolomites. It will be a piece of high ground with a bunker set at the top and trenches leading up to it.

The next step is to rough-hew the corners off with a jigsaw and to taper the edges. I want a "rough and rugged" look to this table piece, so I'm using the softer kind of styrofoam that you get in electronic goods packing crates rather than the more finer-grained insulation board. This can be "roughed up" and covered with wood filler to get the craggy rock effect I'm looking for.

After getting the base roughly to shape, I will add the trenches themselves. For these I will carve in some relief works, but will also be ordering some of the excellent moulded trench works by
Kallistra and add them to the top of the hill. I'll then texture them into the surrounding rock with offcuts of foam and wood putty.

No comments:

Post a Comment