Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Forgotten Front

As far removed from Flanders as one can get..

Another in my
oeuvre of wargaming blogs. This one inspired by three events:

1) A re-read of one of my favourite novels, Mark Helprin's
A Soldier of the Great War, which -aside from being a great work of recent litereature on its own merits- contains some amazing descriptions of the fighting in the Alps and along the Isonzo/ Piave in WW1.

2) The release of some excellent wargames figures for the Italian front, both by
Scarab Miniatures and Brigade Games.

3) the publication of Richard Clarke's (Two Fat Lardies) ruleset,
Through the Mud and the Blood.

Seeing as the planets have finally lined up, I felt it was high time to have a go at gaming Italy and 1917 and in doing so pay my respects to my great-grandfather's war. I never met Albert Whitbourn, he died long before I was born, but he was clearly greatly loved and held in deep respect by the whole family.

Future posts will outline my plans for building up representative forces for the Central Powers and Allied forces, scenario ideas, and terrain construction. I may even make
divertimenti into the air and naval battles as well, as I have sizeable Austrian and Allied fleets in 1/2400 scale, in addition to some of the excellent Wings of War 1/144 scale aircraft and rules.



1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I like the fortification that you have built. I am looking at the Austrians and Russians for Mud and Blood.

    ReplyDelete